Monday, May 11, 2015

Sometimes I just need to vent..

Warning: This post contains lots of rambling.
          Today I saw an article my cousin had shared on Facebook. It talked about how your dogs might be getting older, their days growing shorter..and how we might not take the time needed to just sit with them, look them deep in their eyes and let them know how much we love them and how much they mean to us.
          This article touched me, not because it made me realize that I need to spend more time with my dogs, I get down on the floor with my babies every chance I get and just love them. But because it reminded me that there are people out there who forget that our dogs need just as much love and attention as the rest of the family.
          Reading this article, with tears in my eyes, also got me thinking. Thinking about all the dogs in shelters, especially the older doggies who are over looked because people don't want to adopt a dog who's days are numbered..they want a young pup who they can watch grow and learn.
          My heart is breaking for those poor babies stuck in shelters. Who spent their whole lives loving someone or some family.. only to be dropped at some shelter to spend their days confused and alone.
          Visiting local shelters to see the dogs (and donate much needed items, which I highly recommend everyone do from time to time!) is a common occurrence in my family. And I couldn't tell you how many dogs Ive seen cowering in a corner, terrified of everything. Or how many cards I've read that said the family just could no longer take care of them or they moved and can't bring the dog.. Just thinking about that now is getting me a little choked up.. I wish I could save them all and show them the love they deserve.
          I'm not sure the purpose of this post..or where I'm going with it.. I guess I just need somewhere to vent and express my thoughts. Maybe it will touch someone and they'll go adopt a dog in need and give it a forever home and unconditional love.. Most of all I just hope this will open someones eyes.
          If you have a dog, go hug it. Feed it a treat. Tell it you love it, it might not be able to understand the words, but I promise they can feel it. If you have the time and a few spare dollars, call your local shelter and ask what they need most, buy a bag of dog food or cat food, donate old sheets and towels, even a small donation of $20 is much appreciated.. Or if you're looking for a new fur baby, please adopt! And not just the cute little babies. Remember that older dogs need loving homes too. <3


Have a beautiful day.
Believe. Dream. Explore. & Be nice to people. & animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment