Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Foam hair color reviews.

A few months ago I tried the John Frieda Precision Foam Color. (in burgundy.)
I absolutely loved it! The application was super easy, full coverage no matter how long your hair is..
What I loved:

  • Easy instructions.
  • Thick black gloves. (most boxes come with cheapo gloves that tear)
  • Amazingly easy application. (stayed foamy, went in smooth and didnt tangle my hair, and no missed spots)
  • Smell was bearable.
  • One box covered my entire head of hair. (most boxes need two for long/thick hair)
  • It didnt get all over my scalp, forehead and ears like regular dye has a tendency to.
  • Rinsed quick, easy, and felt soft after rinsing.
  • Amazing conditioner included.
  • Beautiful, shiny color. Exactly as pictured on box.
  • Color lasted pretty well.

What I didnt love:

  • When I bought it, the picture was black and white, the color swatch was in a weird place and made it hard to pick the color. (it has been changed since then, though)
  • Color started to fade before the recommended next application, but still lasted longer than most.
  • Price. Its one of the most expensive box dyes at walmart/target/cvs/etc., but its a whole lot cheaper than getting it done at the salon, and honestly its worth it to me. (to some it might be too pricey)

Id rate this dye a 5 out of 5.
All in all, I loved this dye, and it is now my go-to box dye. I recommend this to everyone, its easy for first timers and is salon quality for a fraction of the price. :)


Since I loved the John Frieda foam color so much, I thought Id give a cheaper brand foam color a try also.

So, I got the Nice 'N Easy Color Blend Foam. (In medium ash brown)
More trouble than its worth, this box dye isnt for me.
What I loved:

  • Reasonable price.
  • Easy to mix and sort of easy to apply.
  • Came with two conditioner packets. (but each was only enough for one use each)
  • Conditioner left my hair really soft.
  • The final result, although not the color I wanted, is a pretty nice color.

What I didnt love:

  • Cheap little gloves. The kind that always tears between the fingers.
  • Absolutely horrible smell.
  • As soon as you put the foam in your hair, the bubbles all pop and it doesnt stay foamy at all.
  • As I was applying I thought for sure I wouldnt have enough to cover my whole head. (I did end up having enough, but if you have thick hair you might not)
  • Sort of sloppy application. (sort of tangled my hair like regular box dye does, and it got on my ears forehead and scalp)
  • Took a while to rinse, and my hair felt kind of dry after. 
  • Stained my scalp, it didnt wash away from all spots.
  • The smell stayed on my hair for a whole day.
  • And my biggest complaint, the color was WAY dark. The box showed "medium ash brown" as exactly that, medium shade of brown, when I rinsed it, it came out almost black. Not even dark brown, seriously the closest thing to black you can get without being black. 

Id rate this dye a 1 out of 5.
All in all, I really did not like this dye. I wouldnt recommend this to anyone, color came out way wrong, the smell was seriously disgusting, and the application wasnt any easier than regular dye.

I would still like to try a few other drug store brand foam hair dyes, look for more reviews on them in the future!
Feel free to let me know your thoughts and experience with these, or any foam hair dye. :)

The products in this review was not provided to me for the purpose of writing a review. I purchased this product for my own personal use. I am simply sharing my experience with it. No monetary exchange occurred in exchange for the writing of the review. The views expressed in this review are strictly my own opinions. All reviews provided here are the work of myself and remain completely unbiased.

No comments:

Post a Comment