Tuesday, March 24, 2015

What do you want to be when you grow up?

From a very young age we are expected to think about our futures. As children we're asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?" And although most answers are something generic like a fireman or just silly like a dog or Spiderman, I can't help but think our teachers and parents ask us this to get us prepared as early as possible to start thinking about what we will do with our lives.

When I was younger there were many things I wanted to be. I've been a huge animal lover my whole life, so a majority of my childhood I wanted to be a veterinarian so I could spend my days with cute dogs. That is, until I realized I would have to deal with the bad as well as the good, and I could never be the one to put down a sick or injured animal. So I changed my mind. Next thing I wanted to do was become a hair dresser..but I was quickly reminded that you need to be very charismatic while talking to your clients as you do their hair. And lets face it, my anxiety just wouldn't let that happen! As I got a little older and really started finding my passions, I decided I wanted to be an artist. I loved expressing my creativity in many different ways. But, as always, when you have a dream..there will be doubters. I had so many people tell me there's no work for an art student and it would be a waste of time and money. So there I was..and now here I am..23 years old and not knowing what to do with my life.

But I'm the kind of person who tries not to regret things in life. I try to take everything as a learning experience, the things that happen in our lives and how we handle those things mold us into the people we are..and there's no shame in that. (unless you're a complete jerk) So I don't necessarily regret not going to college or finding my "dream job." It has just made the whole "get your life in order" thing a little more difficult. Sure, I could sit here and dwell on the things I coulda woulda shoulda done..but that won't change anything, will it? So instead, I've been spending a lot of time thinking. Thinking about where I see my life heading, thinking of where I want my life to head, and thinking of what I have to do to get those two on the same path.

Recently it sort of hit me. We live until we die.. I know, morbid. But the truth is, we are born..so we can grow up..so we can get jobs..so we can have families of our own..so we can grow old..so we can die. And all the other stuff in between isn't all that significant. I mean, yeah, to some people their work is their life. And it is very important..but to most of us we just do what we have to so we can get by.

So, what do I want to be when I grow up? Honestly..I don't care what I end up doing. I just want to be happy. I'm not saying I'd be okay working at McDonald's until I'm 50..I'm just saying in the end it doesn't matter if I follow my 6 year old dream or my 16 year old dream. Wherever I end up I'm okay with that. If I love what I do, if it makes me happy, and if it pays the bills and supports me and my family..then I will be living the dream.

I just hope there's goats involved.

So what do you want to be when you grow up?! ;) Let me know in the comments!

Have a beautiful day.
Believe. Dream. Explore. & Be nice to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment